background

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

This Old Man - Day 3

How many pokes does it take to start an IV? This older man sitting next to me got poked 3 times before the nurse could start a line. Poor guy was so scared of the needle. His nurse had to be aggressive. In the middle of giving instructions, he interrupted the nurse, which got the nurse a little mad. "Let me finish," she said. Yes, I was eavesdropping. The whole thing made me laugh. He is what we call a "difficult patient." Very picky, giving the nurses a hard time about everything. I was laughing because I used to be that guy. I used to get so mad at my nurses when they have to poke me more than once. They were kind of intimidated because they know I work in the health field and I know how things should be done. I'm sure my Kaiser nurses are happy to have a break from me. I don't blame them.

So it's Day 3 of Chemo and all I have to say about it is it gives me this weird stomach ache. It comes and goes throughout the day. The nurse premedicates me with Zofran to prevent nausea. Other than that, I don't really feel anything else. That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment