background

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

CEUs

I'm currently working on my Continuing Education Units, but it's telling me to spend 10 more minutes before I can proceed to the next section. So, I thought I'd blog to kill time. I need 15 CEUs every 2 years for my Respiratory Therapy license. It's due on the end of September. Raul has Danica right now, so I have some time to work on it.

I like being a Respiratory Therapist, because I get to help my patients breathe better. Sounds like an easy job... just give them oxygen, right? Nope! It's more than that. While most therapist are disgusted working with trached patients. I, on the other hand, enjoy it. Because these type of patients are in long term care facilities, I get to know them and their families really well. I work along with Speech Therapists and Physical Therapists to help patients get better. The most wonderful thing is weaning a patient from the ventilator, then eventually placing a speaking valve on and hearing their voice for the first time.

I've been a patient and I know how it feels to have no voice. Fortunately for me, my husband has become my voice, he is my advocate. As a therapist, I act as an advocate to my patients. I treat them like how I want to be treated. I just wish that other healthcare providers would do the same....

No comments:

Post a Comment