background

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

More on Hair...

It's 11 pm and my husband caught me searching for more websites on hair growth after chemo. I am obsessed with my hair! Anyway, I want to share some tips on growing hair after chemo. Use sulfate-free products. Visit a hair specialty store, such as Planet Beauty or Naimie's, and ask for sulfate-free products. Do not go to a salon, because they will sell you expensive, brand name shampoos. Trust me, I've used Paul Mitchell and it made my hair very dry. Same thing with Enjoy. Kiehl's from Nordstrom is good, but I'm not sure if it's sulfate free. The one I'm currently using is made by DSLaboraties. I bought the shampoo for $27 at Planet Beauty. They also have the conditioner, but my wallet was running on "E" that day. Sales associates will also try to sell you supplements, but I don't think it's a good idea even if they say that they're all "natural." Because you just have gone through chemotherapy, you're body is immunosuppressed and you don't want to take something that is not prescribed by your doctor. Plus, if you're on at least 10 different medications like me, I'm sure you don't want to add to that list. My second advice is, don't use any gel or hair spray. Your new hair is very thin at first and you want to avoid breakage by not using products, such as gel. Take care of your baby hair like you would a baby's hair. Hahaha! Does that make sense? And here's my last advice, when you shampoo and condition your hair, massage your scalp gently. This stimulates hair growth. Hope this helps. Love the new "you" and be patient...

No comments:

Post a Comment